GARAGE ORGANIZATION - PART 1




Besides the closets which I cover in the other recent posts, my garage needs a lot of work. Although it is a 3-car garage, it has been difficult to park more than one car in there. I decided it was time to clean it up and get it organized.

After watching countless YouTube videos and google searching website on the topic, I came to the conclusion that I needed to leverage the vertical spaces better. All the things that are on the floor must be put up on the walls somehow. To start, I tackled three areas.

First were tools and items that could be hung off the walls. These are things like garden tools, ladders, hose and so on. There are a number of tail storage systems for the garage, which to me all seemed to work well, so I went with the most economical. That turned out to be the Kobalt Black Plastic Multipurpose Storage Rail from Lowe's.

Each rail is about $11 and can hold up to 75 lbs. The reason why I picked it was because of the low cost of the accessories.  The Kobalt Gray/Black Utility Hook for example is only $5.98, whereas the similar item for Craftsman and Gladiator was almost twice as much.

Here is how it came out:






Second, I needed a place to store the winter/summer tires for my Tesla. I looked on Amazon and went with their "Amazon's Choice" MAXXHAUL 70489 Capacity Foldable Tire Rack (300-lb).


It was pretty straightforward to assemble and install, but I have some lingering doubts about it's strength. It is rated for 300lbs but my four 21" Tesla tires seems to be pushing it to the limits.





Third, I tackled storage of various small items. After much research, my decision was to put them all into containers and put them on shelves. On a visit to a local Lowe's I found the CRAFTSMAN 20-Gallon (80-Quart) Black Tote with Latching Lid on sale for $11.98 so I loaded up on fourteen of them.



For the shelving, I couldn't find anything I liked at Lowe's, so I ended buying FLEXIMOUNTS 2-Pack 2x6ft 24-inch-by-72-inch Wall Shelf Garage Storage Rack Floating Shelves, Black.



I bought two packs which allowed me to store the fourteen containers. To clearly label them, I ordered Chalkboard Labels initially from Amazon. But they were a bit too small.  So I ended up using the larger 10x6 Chalkboard Label.



The chalkboard labels worked great and now I have everything stored on the walls and clearly identified.


The garage is looking much better but it still needs a bit more work. Please check-in again for further updates. Thanks for reading!

Comments